Facebook Badge

Toll Free Numbers To The Washington Switchboard

1-866 338-1015
1-866 220-0044

Friday, June 27, 2008

Think Progress » Yoo Won’t Answer Whether President Can Bury Detainees Alive

Today, the authors of the Bush administration’s torture policies, David Addington and John Yoo, are testifying before the House Judiciary Committee. Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) asked Yoo whether the president could bury a detainee alive, Yoo stonewalled and ultimately refused to answer the question. He also refused to say if there was any torture tactic the president was prohibited from using. Transcript via Muckracker:
CONYERS: Could the President order a suspect buried alive? YOO: Uh, Mr. Chairman, I don’t think I’ve ever given advice that the President could order someone buried alive… CONYERS: I didn’t ask you if you ever gave him advice. I asked you thought the President could order a suspect buried alive. YOO: Well Chairman, my view right now is that I don’t think a President — no American President would ever have to order that or feel it necessary to order that. CONYERS: I think we understand the games that are being played.
Think Progress » Yoo Won’t Answer Whether President Can Bury Detainees Alive

No comments:

Post a Comment